5 Tips for Successful Hands-On Learning in Today’s Workplace
Give your employees a distinct advantage by simulating real-life experiences.
Hands-on learning is among the most successful approaches adopted by today’s workplace. Rather than tell employees how to do something, you give them the opportunity to learn and try things independently. By taking a hands-on approach, you remove barriers that prevent progress. Employees can problem solve and come up with solutions that better meet their needs.
How to Make Hands-On Learning Work for Your Business
There are many reasons why hands-on learning works well for business environments. First, it lifts the responsibility off of you. Besides teaching your employees how to complete a task or gain a new skill, you aren’t held accountable for their performance. They are responsible for how well they perform.
Five tips for successful hands-on learning experiences in today’s workplace include:
1. Create a learning path for each employee. The way people learn is very different. By identifying your employees’ strengths and weaknesses, you’re able to create a path of learning custom to their needs. You won’t expect the same results at an identical pace with everyone that you’ve employed.
2. Measure knowledge through application. It’s not enough to train a person to do something new. You want to know that they can do it long-term. That’s why you need to see your employees applied what they’ve learned in a workplace setting. Allow them to practice the skills they’ve learned, problem-solve, and ask questions along the way.
3. Forgo one-day training events. They’re useless because they don’t allow employees to demonstrate what they’ve learned. Instead, opt for a mentorship program where someone more skilled can serve as an example to people developing their skills. By modeling their behavior, the rest of your workforce benefits by being at the same skill level as their mentor eventually.
4. Ask for feedback. Your employees remain your best source of information about how successful training is for them. Listen to their suggestions and make changes in ways that you see fit. Keep in mind that it’s very easy to request feedback and not act on it. If you want to make a strong impression, you’ll give what your employees have to say merit.
5. Provide additional assistance when employees ask for it. Making sure that everyone succeeds is part of your job as the owner or manager of a company. When an employee asks for help, make sure that you’re ready to provide it. Again, this is where a mentorship program becomes very beneficial.
The likelihood of encountering specific scenarios in the workplace is a possibility. That’s why it’s important to give your employees ample opportunities to learn by following a set of steps and instructions themselves. By preparing them for future events, you prevent overwhelm from occurring. You’re able to provide your employees with the skills needed to overcome any challenge.
Simulation Studios Specializes in Hands-On Learning
With the help of Simulation Studios, you can create change. Improve your workplace environment by making it a place where hands-on learning is encouraged and supported. You can learn about business simulations here and our services are very beneficial in creating the ideal climate for your workforce.